South Indian dishes are incomplete without chutney and gravies.Today we will be preparing Tomato chutney which goes best with Dosa, Idli, Vada, Bonda etc. It has a very easy preparation and tastes just yum.
We prepare tomato chutneys in a varies ways, differing to salty and sweet. Tomato chutney is known for used with aalu paratha and plain paratha. Today we will be giving a south Indian flavor to the chutney which is actually suitable for south Idnian dishes.
Lets move to our recipe and see the ingredients:
Ingredients required for Tomato Chutney:
- Ripe red tomatoes- 2-3 big sized
- Curry leaves- 6-8
- Chopped garlic cloves- 4-5
- Minced green chillies- 2
- Salt as per the taste
- Chana dal- 2 teaspoon
- Rai or Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil
Preparation of the chutney:
- First of all in the low gas flame grill the tomatoes, so that they get soft from inside. Make sure you put 4-5 cuts so that heat gets inside and cook the tomatoes well.
- Now take the tomatoes, roughly chop and let is cool.
- In a blender jar, take the tomatoes, green chillies and garlic cloves.
- Blend into a fine paste.
- In an another pan, heat 1 tablespoon of mustard oil. As it gets heated put curry leaves, rai, cumin seeds and chana dal into it.
- Saute for few seconds till a nice fragrance is released.
- Turn the flame to low and put tomato paste and salt into it.
- Also put a cup of water and turn the flame to higher. Let it simmer so its gets semi-thick.
- Turn off the flame and serve with any of you liked south Indian dishes like Idli vada dosa etc like that.
Try out the recipe and do share your experiences with us. Share the post in all the social medias. Take care and live well!