Fish curry is a very popular sub-continental dish all across the globe. Especially in Bengali culture, fish curry is a very superior kind of dish. Today we will be preparing Bengali fish curry.
Benefits of eating fish:
For those who are non-vegetarians, fish curry is a rich source of Vitamin A, D, K, monosaturated fatty acids, Omega- 3 and 6, antioxidants, biotin, iron and many more.
Small fishes are the rich source of dietary protein and antioxidants whereas large fishes are rich in Omega 3 and 6.
What we are going to cook?
Here we are going to prepare fish curry infused with Bengali style. Most of the Bengalis prefer fish curry with mustard and low spice; actually this is the best form of preparation which means low spice with large health.
In Bengali term, fish curry is also called ‘Macher jhol’. For our fish curry we will choose, Ilish fish also called ‘hilsa fish’.
Something about Hilsa fish:
Illish is a fresh water fish found in deep marine surface. It lengths up to 60 cms and can weights up to 3 kgs. Common names of Ilish fish are hilsa, hilsa herring, palla fish, polasa and many more. Ilish belongs to kingdom Animalia and Clupeidae family.
Its scientific name is “Tenualosa ilisha”. It can be of different colors like golden, silver and purple. Ilish fish is the national fish of Bangladesh. Bangladesh is the topmost exporter of Ilish fish all across the world.
It is very popular in West Bengal, Gujarat, Mizoram, Odisha, Tripura, Assam and many more. The rate of the fish varies according to the breeding season; it belongs to a very rare species that is why the price tag fluctuates.
Now we will be preparing Bengali fish curry using the hilsa fish. You can even use other fish but it gives a very nice taste.
- Ilish fish (cleaned and cut) – 1 kg
- Turmeric powder- 2 teaspoon
- Salt- 2 ½ teaspoon
- Mustard oil- 1 tablespoon
- Ginger paste- 4 tablespoon
- Yellow mustard powder- 2 teaspoon
- Black mustard seeds- 2 ½ teaspoon
- Green chilies- 4-5
- Dry red chili– 1-2
- Red tomato- 1-2
- Cumin powder- 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder- 1 ½ teaspoon
- Mustard oil as per frying
- Red chili powder- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- ½ tablespoon
- Chopped cilantro- ½ cup
Methods to prepare Bengali fish curry:
- First of all in a large bowl, clean the fish pieces using water.
- Now add all the marinating ingredients to it and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Take all the spices with ginger and mustard in a mixer grinder jar.
- Add little water and grind to make a fine coarse paste.
- Take a non-stick frying pan and add mustard oil in it. Heat till it gets moderate hot.
- Fry the fish pieces in a medium flame; 3-4 at a time.
- Place a coat of tissue paper on the plate and put all the fried fish pieces on it.
- By doing so, extra oil will be soaked on the paper.
- Now in the same pan, add some more oil for curry preparation.
- Add some black mustard seeds, one red chili and one green chili to it.
- After a minute, mix all the grind paste in it and in a low flame cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now open the lid and in a medium flame fry all the ingredients well.
- While frying add chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric to it and fry well.
- You will observe that the cooked mixture has turned to reddish-brown and an aromatic mustard fragrance will arise. It means you ingredient is cooked.
- Now add 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard to it.
- Cook till the water gets half.
- Now add all the fried fish pieces; cover the lid and in a medium flame cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes take out the lid and turn off the heat.
- Garnish the fish curry with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice.
In this way we saw how to prepare Bengali fish curry. Hope you like the recipe. Share it in all the social medias and do share your comments with us. Eat well and live well!