Chickpeas chole or Chole is a kind of Punjabi dish which very delicious and sour-salty in taste. Most probably, this is a curry item that is likely to served with Nan, puri, parath,bhature or anything like that. Let us see how to prepare this yummy thing at home.
Punjabi chole is a very tasty and traditional food in Punjabi culture. It is a very classy and one of the most popular dishes of Punjabi cuisine.
What are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas; also known as ‘kabuli chana’ in hindi is like normal gram itself. It is black as well as whitish in color. It is little bit bigger in size as compared to other grams.
Chickpeas are used to prepare various kinds of dishes like chips, chickpea flour, crunchy chana, curry and many more. Here we are ought to prepare Chickpeas chole.
So let’s proceed to our concerned topic:
- White chickpeas- 2 cups
- Onion- 4-5 (chopped in long strands)
- Ginger-garlic paste- 2 tablespoons
- Tomatoes– 2 small (chopped into dices)
- Salt- 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder- 3 teaspoons
- Black pepper– 1 ½ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1 tablespoons
- Coriander powder- 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf- 1
- Dried red chili- 2
- Green chilies- 4 (chopped)
- Chopped cilantro- 1 cup
- Refined soybean oil- 2 tablespoon
Methods of preparation:-
- First of all, soak all the chickpeas into water overnight; likely for 6-7 hours.
- Now, take a pressure cooker and heat it. Add oil to it and after getting heated add cumin seeds, red chili and bay leaf to it.
- Saute them for a minute in medium flame and put all the chopped onions to it. Cook well till the onion gets half and brownish pink in color.
- After that, add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes to it. Cook the entire ingredient well and at the same time sauté them adding wholesome spices to it.
- Now, put all the soaked chickpeas to it and turn the flame high. Fry it for 2 minutes and as the aromatic fragrance arises; add 4 cups of water to it.
- Stir well for a minute and close the lid. In a medium flame pressure cook the chole for 4 whistles.
- Now, as the vapor gets released again cook the the chole for 5 minutes in high flame. As the thick gravy appears turn off the flame and take out the chickpeas chole in a plate.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with any of the chapatti item. Enjoy……
You can cook this in any festive occassion or in family meets. Everyone is going to love it and appreciate you more.
Prepare punjabi chole at your own and let us know what you discovered. Eat well and live well!