To make softer and sponger Idlis, it is necessary to make the perfect batter with adequate constituency. Today we will be telling you how to prepare perfect Idli batter.
Making Idli batter which gives soft and spongy idlis is the biggest challenge. This is a tougher task, specially for the newcomers.
Let us see how to prepare Idli batter, which has the right constituency that makes best Idli.
- White rice– 2 cups
- White Urad (Idli dal)- 1 cup
- Rice flakes- 1 tablespoon
- Salt as per taste
- Water as per required
How to make Idli batter:
- First of all, soak rice a dal in double amount of water for 6-7 hours.
- Now we will be using mixer grinder.
- Soak the rice flakes in water for about 2-5 minutes.
- Grind all the things in grinder, using water to make a semi-thick constituency.
- Make sure that your batter is neither too thin nor so thick.
- Also grind the rice flakes with it.
- Pour all these in a deep base bowl and mix salt with it.
- Here you go with your Idli batter.
But your batter is not ready to make Idlis. It needs fermentation. After getting fermented, it will make soft and spongy Idlis.
How to ferment Idli batter:
Follow the tips given below and you will get correct Idli batter.
- You need to ferment the Idli batter for at least 7-8 hours.
- In case of chilling whether or rainy days, you can put the batter vessel inside some cupboard with a glass of hot water. It will make the environment get hotter, thus will help to ferment the batter sooner.
- Many people likes to add baking soda or fruit salt into the batter, to make it ferment well. Don’t do this. It will make the taste sour.
- After adding salt to the batter, mix it well. You will notice several bubbles while mixing. This will release any kind of air in it thus making your batter better.
So this was the trick how to make a nice batter for Idli. Give it a try and share your experiences with us. Eat well and live well!