Hey guys, today I am posting a blog on the food section. My blog is about how to prepare ‘Besan dhokla’ at home.
What is Besan Dhokla?
Besan Dhokla is one of the staple and famous dishes of Gujarati cuisine. It can be taken as the snacks and breakfast too. It looks very spongy and plump in texture.
Besan that is also called gram flour is the major constituent ingredient of dhokla. Dhokla is very nutritious and healthy kind of food for all the age group.
So, let’s talk about the ingredients and methods used in preparing besan dhokla:-
- Besan (Gram flour)- 3 cups
- Lemon– 2 medium size
- Mustard oil- 3 teaspoons
- Eno fruit salt- 1 teaspoon
- Ginger– 1 small piece grated
- Salt- as per the taste
- Green chilies– 3
- Coriander leaves- ½ cup
- Black mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Black salt
- Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
Methods to prepare Besan Dhokla-
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, salt, lemon juice, Grated ginger, turmeric powder and mustard oil. Using water, mix it well so that no lumps are formed in the mixture.
- After getting properly mixed, keep it aside for 20 minutes so that the besan gets fermented.
- In a deep base vessel, add 3 glasses of water and place a steel net stand into it.
- Cover the vessel using a lid and turn on the gas in a medium flame.
- After the batter is fermented properly, mix it properly using a spoon. Add eno fruit salt in it.
- Mix the mixture well, but not more than 2 minutes because mixing for a long time; reduces the capacity of fruit salt.
- Take a dhokla plate, apply a coat of oil in it and pour the dhokla mixture in it so that it gets set into the plate.
- Put the plate over the steel net in the deep base vessel and cover the lid.
- In a medium flame, cook it for 15-20 minutes.
- After that, using a knife pierce it into the dhokla and confirm the preparation.
- If the dhokla batter sticks on the knife the cook it for few minutes more.
- When the dhokla gets properly and wholly cooked then turn off the flame and let it cool.
- When it gets cool down, draw the knife in a circular motion of the plate so the dhokla cake comes out.
- Cut the dhokla in the preferable shape you wish. Mostly square shape is preferred.
- Now it’s the time for garnishing…
- Turn on the gas in medium flame.
- In a pan, add a teaspoon of mustard oil. As the oil get heated, add black mustard seeds and long cut green chilies to it.
- After a minute mix it well and add salt and a cup of water in it.
- When the water becomes half and boiled turn off the gas and let it cool.
- Using a spoon add the water over the dhokla so that the garnishing items comes on the top of dhokla.
- Your dhokla is ready to be served.
How to serve Besan dhokla?
Enjoy your delicious dhokla which is rich in taste and health too. You can serve it with green chutney or tamarind chutney too.